Conti Sertoli Salis has been one of the most important and prestigious establishments in Valtellina since it was founded in 1989. The company is based in Tirano, where both the production facility and the original XVII century refining cellars, located inside Palazzo Salis (the historic headquarters of the winery), are situated. The Palazzo's seventeenth century cellars, carved into the rock, are used for longer term ageing in barrels and barriques, and for subsequent refining in bottles. The name Conti Sertoli Salis has been associated with wine production for over 400 years: in the mid 1600s the aristocratic family supplied fine Valtellina wines to the court of the Hapsburg Emperor and to noble Grison families in Valtellina.
The Salis Brothers were among the first wine makers to bottle their wine in the entire Kingdom of Italy, according to ancient shipping documents and labels. Bottles dating back 1881 and 1890 were found in the family cellars, kept safe during the many changes of residence.
Among the several honours received, the most important refers to “Tirano bottle wine of 1869”. Back then, only some makers of Barolo and Marsala would bottle their wines.